If you love chocolate, this Neapolitan Cake is definitely for you! The cake is dark, moist, rich and tender, the strawberry and vanilla frostings goes perfectly with the cocoa flavor. Surprisingly, my boyfriend fell love in this cake, although I thought that he prefers fruity flavors. Despite the fact that I don’t like to bake same the things twice, I can make an exception for this wonderful cake.
- 10 oz (290 g) flour,
- 5.3 oz (150 g) butter,
- 4 eggs,
- 8.8 oz (250 g) sugar,
- 1/2 pt (365 ml) heavy cream,
- 7.6 fl oz (225 ml) hot coffee,
- 2.1 oz (60 g) cocoa powder,
- 2 tsp baking powder,
- 2 tbs vanilla extract,
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar,
- 1 tbs butter, softened,
- 1 tsp vanilla extract,
- 1 tbs milk
- 1/2 cup strawberry puree,
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter,
- 2 1/2- 2 3/4 cups powdered sugar,
- few drops of red coloring (optional)
- 4 oz (113) semi-sweet chocolate, chopped,
- 1/2 cup heavy cream,
- 1 tbs unsalted butter
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Butter one 8-inch round cake pan.
2. In a large bowl combine sugar and butter. Add eggs, heavy cream, coffee and vanilla extract. Stir to mix.
3. In a separate bowl, combine sieved flour, pinch of salt, baking powder and cocoa.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix until evenly distributed.
5. Pour the batter into prepared cake pan.
6. Bake in preheated oven for 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean.
7. Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
1. In a bowl, combine the sugar, butter, milk and vanilla.
2. Beat on medium speed until smooth and fluffy.
1. Pour strawberry puree to a small saucepan. Heat mixture over medium heat, and simmer for about 10 – 14 minutes
2. Pour reduced puree into a small bowl, then freeze until cool.
3. In the medium bowl whip the butter until fluffy.
4. Add cooled strawberry puree, powdered sugar red food coloring.
5. Mix until combined. Add more powdered sugar if needed to reach desired consistency.
1. Heat butter and the cream until it starts to boil. Set aside.
2. Add melted and cooled chocolate, beating until combined and scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
1. Cut a cake into three layers.
2. Put your first cake layer on the plate, and spread the vanilla evenly across layer.
3. Put the second cake layer on top and repeat with strawberry frosting.
4. Put the final cake layer on the top.
5. Frost entire outside of cake with a chocolate frosting.
6. Chill until the frosting begins to firm-up, about 30 minutes.