Polish Apple Cake (Szarlotka)
Hello! It’s been a while since the last post. I had a crazy time with my finals, and didn’t have time to bake anything. Right after, my dad visited me in NYC and we took a road trip to Arizona, Utah and Nevada. It was amazing. I won’t lie if I say that Grand Canyon and Zion National Park are one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever seen! I took thousands of pictures. Will post them soon on my portfolio : http://marcelanowak.com . Please, let me know if you like them! I am really excited to know what you think!
Now, about the recipe:
This is my mom’s favorite Apple Cake…Packed with fresh apples, with a crumb topping and crusty base. Tastes best served with vanilla ice-cream. It is just too good… Undoubtedly one of the best cakes I’ve ever baked. Perfect for each occasion. Please, trust me and give it a try!
Crumble and base:
- 4 cups all-purpose flour,
- 1 cup powdered sugar,
- 1 tsp baking powder,
- 6 big egg yolks,
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon,
- 375 g of butter,
- 2 tbs sour cream,
- 8 apples, peeled and sliced,
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup powdered sugar (less if your apples are sweet),
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon,
- 2 tbs cornstarch,
- 2 tbs lemon juice
Polish Apple Cake (szarlotka):
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, sifted sugar, vanilla and sour cream.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine with sifted flour and baking soda.
- Beat until mixture pulls away from the side of the bowl. Divide the dough in half, wrap in waxed paper, and refrigerate for 30 minutes
- In the meantime, place sliced apples in a large pan, add water, and cook on a small heat for 15 minutes, stir often.
- After 15 minuets add powdered sugar, cornstarch, water and cinnamon. Stir well
- Cover the pan and cook for another 2 minutes, until the apple filling thickens. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 356°F.
- Grease the pan with butter.
- With your fingers, press the first half of the dough into a large pan.
- Transfer the apples to the pan.
- Sprinkle the remaining dough evenly over the pie filling. ( I used the grater)
- Bake in preheated oven for about 60 minutes, or until the cake is lightly golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. (you can cover it with tinfoil
- Allow the cake to cool until just warm.
- Using a fine sieve, dust with powdered sugar.
- Cake can be served warm or room temperature, with or without lightly sweetened whipped cream & vanilla ice cream.