Rich in vitamin C, full of antioxidants, pomegranate was regaled as a culinary symbol of Aphrodite by the ancient Greeks. Some say it’s a ‘forbidden fruit’. What I also found out while googling it, in other Western lore, the mythological unicorn was tied to a pomegranate tree.
Because of their many seeds, pomegranates are often associated with fertility and abundance. Ancient Egyptians regarded the pomegranate as an aphrodisiac. They made wine and liqueur from the juice.
After reading this, I had to use this fruit in my new recipe. Decided on baking these fabulous flavorful luscious Pomegranate Cupcakes ! The best, moist, melt-in-you-mouth cupcakes you’ll ever meet. Decided to combine pomegranate with coconut, which turned out to be a great idea.
I totally recommend this recipe and promise you, once you bake it, you won’t be able to resist baking it again!
- 2 cups flour,
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup sugar,
- 100 g butter,
- 50 g coconut butter,
- 1 cup desiccated coconut,
- 2 eggs,
- 1 3/4 cup milk,
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 tsp baking soda,
- pinch of salt,
- 3/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 16 ounces mascarpone cheese, softened,
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened,
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups confectioner’s sugar,
- 1 tbs vanilla extract,
- juice squeezed out of 1/2 lemon,
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 356° F. Line muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, desiccated coconut, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda.
- In another bowl, combine sugar, with butter.
- Add milk and eggs.
- Beat on medium speed.
- Add pomegranate seeds and gently stir.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix until evenly distributed.
- Fill each prepared cupcake liner about 3/4 full.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove to a wire rack and let cool completely before frosting.
- Beat the mascarpone and cream cheese on medium speed until fluffy.
- Add the powdered sugar, beat on low until smooth.
- Add vanilla extract, lemon juice and a pinch of salt, mix until just until incorporated.
- Spread the frosting over cooled cupcakes.
- Decorate with fresh coconut pieces & pomegranate seeds.