Hello guys! It is summer time and I’m in the middle of hot, loud, crazy and crowded NYC! It’s a bit scary, isn’t it? I really, really miss holidays . I miss beaches, tropical islands, I miss wind coming from the ocean. I even miss burning my feet on the hot summer sand! When I think of all that, my mind immediately went to blue. The color of beautiful ocean, the color of sky on a beautiful day. I just love it! To make myself feel better I decided to relax and bake something different. Somehow, I wanted to share my holiday memories. This dessert is about my holiday in Kenya. That trip was a fantastic adventure with amazing sights, amazing people and amazing animals. I am sure you already know, what animal inspires me the most. Yes, I really do love zebras.
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour,
- 2 cups sugar,
- ¾ cups vegetable oil,
- 4 eggs
- 3 teaspoons baking powder,
- 1 cup milk,
- 6 tbs lemon juice
- blue and black gel paste
- 3½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 sticks butter, soft
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- blue gel paste
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a medium bowl combine, flour, sugar, baking powder, vegetable oil and lemon juice.
3. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing in between additions.
4. Slowly add the milk. Continue mixing until all ingredients are completely combined.
5. Divide batter into three different bowls with one bowl having half of the batter and the other two have a quarter each.
6. Using food colors, tint batter in 1 small bowl blue and the second small bowl black.
7. Lightly grease 8-inch pan.
8. Place four tablespoons of white batter into the center of prepared pan ( wait for a few seconds so it spreads out slightly).
9. Add in 1-2 tablespoon of the black batter in the middle of the pan and wait another few seconds until it spreads.
10. After that add in 1-2 tablespoon of the blue batter in the middle of the pan and wait for a few seconds to allow it to spread.
11. Continue alternating lemon, black and blue batter until you have used up all the batter.
12. Bake in preheated oven for about 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
13. Allow to cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes, remove from pan, and cool completely on a wire wrack.
1. Place soft butter and sugar in mixer and beat on medium speed till combined.
2. Add vanilla paste and whipping cream. Mix till light and fluffy.
assembly and frosting:
1. Once cake is cooled, cut it in half.
2. Put your first layer on the cake platter and spread 1/4 (more or less) of the frosting evenly across the top.
3.Put the second cake layer on top.
4. Separate the rest of the frosting into 2 parts and place in 2 bowls.
5. Set aside the white buttercream.
6. Get a small amount of color and mix with one bowl of the buttercream. Set aside.
7 . Repeat this process with the second frosting, but use a little bit more gel color.
8. You should have two shades of blue.
9. Using a small spatula, spread an even layer of the dark frosting around the bottom 3/4 of the cake.
10. Repeat 9th using first the light shade of blue frosting to spread on test of the cake. Overlap just slightly the two colors where they meet.
Have a great Summer!